The Boyne Obelisk or King William’s Obelisk was a monument erected in 1736 to commemorate King William the Third’s victory at the Battle of the Boyne. The obelisk stood on the banks of the river Boyne where William made his famous crossing at Oldbridge in 1690. It was reportedly, 150 ft high including the rocky base on which it was built and bore the inscription:
“Sacred to the glorious memory of King William the Third, who, on the 1st of July, 1690, passed the river near this place to attack James the Second, and did, on that day, by a single battle, secure to us and to our posterity, our liberty, laws, and religion. In consequence of this action James II left this Kingdom and fled to France. This memorial of our deliverance was erected in the 9th year of King George II, the first stone being laid by Lionel Sackville, Duke of Dorset, Lord Lieutenant of the Kingdom of Ireland, MDCCXXXVI (1736).”
The south side inscription read: “Marshal the Duke of Schomberg in passing this river died bravely fighting” and on the east side “In defence of Liberty, July 1st MDCLXXXX (1690)”. On the west side, “This monument was erected by the grateful contributions of several protestants of Great Britain and Ireland”.
The obelisk remained there until May 31st 1923 when it was destroyed by explosives during the civil war.
Sources: “Newgrange and the Bend of the Boyne” by Geraldine Stout